The World According to Kanye, an unauthorized book compiled by writer Herbert Lui, specifically mentions money 24 times.
Here are some of Yeezy’s more insightful and/or pointed musings about finances from the book.
1. “Anyone that’s creative understands that there’s no amount of money that can be given to them to make them not want to, or have to, create. There’s no check out and there’s no cheque to stop you from [sic] creative. No pun intended when I’m saying no check.”
2. “We don’t run anything; we’re celebrities. We’re the face of brands. We have to compromise what we say in lyrics so we don’t lose money on a contract.”
3. “So many people talk about their investments or how much money they have but there’s so many rich people who spend a lot of that trying to buy a piece of happiness.”
4. “One of my courses was piano. I actually went to college to learn how to play piano. Talk about wastin’ some money.”
5. “The only luxury is time. The time you spend with your family.”
Well said, Kanye, because your $880 tattered sweaters definitely don’t look like luxury items to us.