A Washington state woman dining out at her favorite Italian restaurant with her husband on “a rare date night without the kids” was shocked recently to take a bite of her frutti di mare that included a rare purple Quahog pearl.
“I felt like I almost broke my tooth when I first bit it,” Lindsay Hasz told ABC News. “It was pretty dark in the restaurant, so it was hard to tell what it was, but when I looked at it closer, it looked totally round and perfect. Too perfect.”
A gemologist confirmed for Hasz that she had indeed nearly cracked a tooth on a rare purple Quahog pearl indigenous to the New England area, calling the odds of finding a natural, gem-quality Quahog pearl “on in a couple million.” He estimated the the object formed by secretions in the immune response system of a shelled mollusk to be worth $600.
Montalcino Ristorante Italiano in Issaquah, Washignton, where Hasz discovered the pearl told ABC News they’d seen a boost in business since Hasz find, with customers ordering the same dish in hopes of striking it rich. One hopes those customers are chewing very gingerly, as $600 might not cover the dental bill resulting from an overly enthusiastic bite of a pearl-containing dish.