George Frey—Getty Images
By Martha C. White
October 18, 2016

Samsung Galaxy Note 7 owners have been through no shortage of headaches, thanks to the devices’ faulty batteries that have a bad tendency to explode or catch fire. Now a group of consumers are taking their grievances to the courtroom, with a class-action suit filed in New Jersey.

The complaint doesn’t center around the dangerous batteries themselves; rather, plaintiffs want to be reimbursed for monthly wireless bills that kept coming even though their phones were unusable for up to weeks at a time.

The three original plaintiffs said they were stuck without phones for a number of weeks between when Samsung officially recalled the Note 7 and when the company started making replacement phones available. They also said there weren’t enough replacement phones available at first.

Initially, most Note 7 users opted for a replacement rather than a refund or exchange for another phone model. Those unlucky customers were stuck a second time with phones they couldn’t use when Samsung determined that some of the batteries in the replacement devices were also catching fire and discontinued the model entirely last week.

This all might have been bad enough, but according to the lawsuit, what pushed it over the edge was that these former Note 7 users were still stuck paying for service they couldn’t use under their wireless contracts. “Samsung has agreed to recall and reimburse the cost of the device, but their customers have had to continue to pay on their data and voice plans,” plaintiffs’ lawyer Richard McCune told Vice.

You May Like

EDIT POST