Many companies featured on Money advertise with us. Opinions are our own, but compensation and
in-depth research determine where and how companies may appear. Learn more about how we make money.

For adults in their 30s, 40s, or 50s who are still making payments on their student loans, you have a few options for getting help. If you work for the U.S. government, you can apply for a loan repayment program, which can ease the burden on your student debt. If you don't work for the federal government, you can still get help or loan forgiveness through various programs that assist people who are in public-service or health care professions, such as police officers or doctors. Another option, if you have a steady job and good credit, is to refinance your loan at a lower interest rate than what you're paying.