Despite a growing movement among major U.S. retailers to close shop on Thanksgiving, Macy’s is bucking the trend by opening some of its stores an hour earlier than last year.
At least five of the retail chain’s locations will open at 5 p.m. on Thanksgiving day, and three will stay open all the way until 10 p.m. on Black Friday — a likely harbinger of similar moves by Macy’s across the country, according to BestBlackFriday.com.
Here are the three stores that will pull all nighters from Thanksgiving night til 10PM on Black Friday:
- Ala Moana Center in Honolulu, Hawaii: 5 p.m. Thanksgiving to 10 p.m. Black Friday
- Cherry Hill Mall in Cherry Hill, New Jersey: 5 p.m. Thanksgiving to 10 p.m. Black Friday
- Christiana Mall in Newark, Delaware: 5 p.m. Thanksgiving to 10 p.m. Black Friday
And here are the two stores that will get some shut eye from 2AM to 6AM on the morning of Black Friday:
- Moorestown Mall in Moorestown, New Jersey: 5 p.m. to 2 a.m. Thanksgiving and 6 a.m. to 10 p.m. Black Friday
- Scottsdale Fashion Square in Scottsdale, Arizona: 5 p.m. to 2 a.m. Thanksgiving and 6 a.m. to 10 p.m. Black Friday
The news of Macy’s Thanksgiving day store openings comes at a time when more and more retailers are shying away from opening on the holiday. Last year, Staples announced it would stay closed on Thanksgiving, as did H&M and REI. This season, Staples has already announced plans to nix its Thanksgiving holiday hours, and major mall operators like the Mall of America in Minnesota and CBL & Associates in Tennessee are following suite.
BestBlackFriday.com, a deal website devoted to Thanksgiving weekend spending, notes that Macy’s is swimming against the retail current by remaining open on the holiday.
Macy’s is hardly alone, however: JCPenney, Kmart, Target, and Toys R Us stores will be open on turkey day as well.