The purpose of this disclosure is to explain how we make money without charging you for our content.
Our mission is to help people at any stage of life make smart financial decisions through research, reporting, reviews, recommendations, and tools.
Earning your trust is essential to our success, and we believe transparency is critical to creating that trust. To that end, you should know that many or all of the companies featured here are partners who advertise with us.
Our content is free because our partners pay us a referral fee if you click on links or call any of the phone numbers on our site. If you choose to interact with the content on our site, we will likely receive compensation. If you don't, we will not be compensated. Ultimately the choice is yours.
Opinions are our own and our editors and staff writers are instructed to maintain editorial integrity, but compensation along with in-depth research will determine where, how, and in what order they appear on the page.
To find out more about our editorial process and how we make money, click here.
- asmarterchoice.org — Lets you search credit unions by military affinity.
- benefits.va.gov — Find out how to qualify for VGLI insurance, VA home loans, and VA health care.
- consumerfinance.gov/cfpb — Has links to state resources for vets, consumer protection offices, and tons of general personal finance information, via the Consumer Finance Protection Bureau.
- military.com/veteran-jobs/skills-translator – Helps you figure out how your military skills can apply to civilian jobs.
- VetJobs.com – Maintains one of the most active job boards geared toward veterans.
- acp-usa.org – Connects veterans with mentoring and networking opportunities and large companies.
- dol.gov/vets/ — Contains links to federal job centers, career training programs and more.
- uschamberfoundation.org/hiring-our-heroes – Collects job lists for veterans.
- The Department of Labor’s Veterans’ Employment and Training Service (VETS) page
- rallypoint.com – A military-only social network.
Health and healthcare
- militaryonesource.mil — Find links to health and wellness resources, as well as to counseling services.
- afterdeployment.dcoe.mil/military_pathways – An online screening tools for PTSD, anxiety disorders, and other issues.
- benefits.va.gov/benefits – General information about VA benefits.
- hbexplorer.vacloud.us – Will assess what benefits you are eligible for, based on several factors, including your discharge status, and service dates.
- dfas.mil/retiredmilitary/plan/estimate.html – Can help you calculate estimated retirement pay.
- tsp.gov/planningtools/planningTools.shtml – Helps you figure out how your TSP contributions will affect your paycheck.
- http://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill/comparison_tool.asp — Compares the various benefits available under the GI Bill.
- clep.collegeboard.org/search/colleges – Search for schools that accept credit for CLEP exams.
- Military.com – Click on the “find a school” tab for state-by-state lists of college funding sources.
Read more of The Veteran’s Guide to Financial Success:
- 8 Tips for Soldiers Looking to Conquer the Civilian Job Market
- 7 Ways for Soldiers to Dramatically Reduce the Cost of College
- 6 Simple Ways for Soldiers to Control Their Post-Military Healthcare Costs
- 5 Smart Money Moves for Soldiers and Military Veterans
- 4 Key Steps in the March Toward a Comfortable Retirement