Yes, hoverboards are fun to ride, and kids love them. But despite their image as novelty kid’s toys, many manufacturers have focused on developing models that can serve as a viable personal transportation alternative. Beyond the brightly colored, Bluetooth speaker-integrated models commonly advertised, some of the more high-end models are effectively scaled-down Segway scooters, with top-notch mobility and performance.
It can sometimes be difficult to tell many of these boards because they have similar designs and features. Kids’ boards generally have speakers and bright, colorful lights, to distinguish them as “toys.” All-purpose boards tend to emphasize weight capacity and battery life, to try and maximize their travel distance, as well as top speed. Other model types can be more specialized, such as off-road boards with higher ground clearance and larger wheels, or boards with unique designs, such as single-wheel “surfboards” and even hover skates.
The good news is we're here to help. In this article, we'll be sharing the finest hoverboards of 2023 alongside a buyer's guide to help you choose the right model for your needs and budget.
Best overall: Hover-1 Ultra Electric Self-Balancing Hoverboard Scooter
Best for kids: Tomoloo Q3-X1 Hoverboard With Bluetooth
Best for off-roading: Swagtron Swagboard Outlaw Off-Road T6
Best self-balancing scooter: Segway Ninebot S
Hoverboard Buying Guide
Here are the most important features to look out for when shopping around for a hoverboard:
• Weight limit: Due to their generally compact design, most hoverboards do not support weights over 220 pounds, which is why they are commonly used by children and lighter adults. There are some exceptions, however. Whenever possible, try to look for hoverboards with generous weight limits to ensure that you can make the most of your device’s top speed and battery life.
• Distance per charge: Hoverboards are loads of fun, but getting stranded in the middle of your ride isn’t. Though the distance your hoverboard can travel may range anywhere from 6 to 12 miles, you always want to make sure that a single charge can take you to your destination and back home. At the very least, you’ll want a hoverboard that can charge quickly wherever you ride.
• UL 2272 certification: In the early days of hoverboards, news articles abounded highlighting their propensity to combust or even explode. As a result, UL — an organization dedicated to developing safety standards for existing and developing technologies — developed certification 2272, which requires rigorous testing of electrical components to avoid these hazards.
• Motor power: Part of the fun of hoverboards is being able to zip around faster than a brisk jog for a fraction of the effort. A powerful set of motors — usually upwards of 250W — will guarantee that you can maintain top speed without significantly impacting battery life. Not only that, but more powerful motors translate to higher weight limits, which will make the hoverboard more accessible to more people.
Reviewing the Top Hoverboards or 2023
1. Best overall: Hover-1 Ultra Electric Hoverboard
List Price: $189.99
As our top choice, Hover-1's Ultra Electric hoverboard model is a terrific option compared to some of the more expensive and popular hoverboard models out there. It's a solid performer and delivers great all-around value.
In terms of capability and specifications, the Hover-1 is very similar to others in its class. It has a maximum weight limit of 220 pounds and can go as far as 12 miles on a single charge, and the Hover-1 has LED front-sensor headlights. Hover-1 Ultra models are often fairly inexpensive, too — generally costing less than $200.
The one notable difference between these models and competing models is the Ultra Electric's lack of a training mode for novice riders, which other comparable hoverboards include by default.
- Easy to operate
- Helpful beeps for battery and positioning alerts
- Available in three fun colors
- LED front sensor lights for safety
- No training mode for beginners
- Not suitable for use on dirt or grass
2. Best for kids: Tomoloo Q3-X1 Hoverboard With Bluetooth
List Price: $149.99
Even though the difference between hoverboards for kids and adults is somewhat subjective, Tomoloo makes it a point to manufacture board models for each audience separately. The Q3-X1 is one of Tomoloo’s heavy-duty models, allowing for a weight load of up to 220 pounds, and yet it is marketed specifically for kids and is pretty affordable compared to others in its class.
In addition to its generous weight limit and relatively low price — around $220 normally — the Q3-X1 has a fairly low top speed of 7 mph. That's not a bad thing, though: The lower speeds allow hoverboard novices to get used to the basics of riding without worrying about going too fast and potentially injuring themselves. It also boasts a variety of attractive LED color settings and powerful Bluetooth speakers.
The Q3-X1 has a self-balancing mode, so novices can get on and off the board with little hassle. It also features a smartphone app with multiple ride and training modes, which can help new users get up to speed on how to make the most of their hoverboard riding.
- Sturdy and easy to use
- Battery life of up to four hours
- Bluetooth speakers deliver great sound
- Instructional videos for riding safely
- Learning curve can be somewhat steep
- Somewhat heavy and difficult to carry
3. Best for off-roading: Swagtron Swagboard Outlaw Off-Road T6
List Price: $399.99
Swagtron makes boards for every type of rider. The T6 is by far the brand's heftiest board, weighing 30.55 pounds and sporting tough 10-inch wheels that allow it to cruise over nearly any type of terrain. It boasts a top speed of 12 mph, with a maximum trip distance of 12 miles per charge.
In addition to being a great off-road hoverboard, the T6 sports many features popular in less rugged boards, such as Bluetooth speakers, training modes, and front-facing LED lights to navigate in the dark.
Being a high-performance off-road board, the T6 has incredibly responsive steering, which should please more experienced riders. On the other hand, it could be somewhat sensitive and difficult to operate for hoverboard newbies.
- Big pneumatic tires can handle rough terrain
- Bluetooth compatibility and built-in speakers for music
- Built-in carrying handles enable easy portability
- Aluminum fenders and chassis for durability and stability
- App user interface could be better
- Speakers may be too quiet
4. Best self-balancing scooter: Segway Ninebot S
List Price: $599.99
If what you want is a reliable alternative mode of transportation (and aren’t into performing fancy tricks), the Segway Ninebot S is a great option. Though not strictly a hoverboard on account of its knee-length control bar, it does provide the hands-free hoverboard experience, but with added balance control.
Unlike traditional hoverboards, the Ninebot S is designed with transportation in mind and it shows. It sports dual 400W motors that allow it to reach cruising speeds of up to 10 mph. Plus, its 10.5-inch wheels give it enough ground clearance to traverse uneven terrain while out and about.
The Ninebot S’s app helps you monitor vehicle diagnostics and speed limit, and it comes with a remote control and anti-theft features, further cementing its status as a personal transportation device.
- Allows 26 miles of range on one charge
- Features brake lights and turn signals for safety
- Gently tilts back as you increase speed
- Can turn in place and back up smoothly
- Speedometer information is not adjustable
- Headlights may be mounted too low
Why Trust Us
Our commitment to the consumer begins with product selection and ends with the last word we write in each article. Each hoverboard is carefully vetted quantitatively through star ratings and the number of reviews and qualitatively through careful examination of reviews and the features each one has to offer. Leveraging our team of bargain hunters, we’re also always sure to keep your budget in mind while we find the best hoverboards on the market. Our team of experts is dedicated to accurately depicting the pros and cons of each hoverboard, translating technical product specifications into information you can understand. Our goal is to help you get the most bang for your buck — or in this case, the best hoverboarding experience for your buck.