Many companies featured on Money advertise with us. Opinions are our own, but compensation and
in-depth research determine where and how companies may appear. Learn more about how we make money.

By Sarah Max
December 21, 2015
Investing illustration
Robert A. Di Ieso, Jr.

Q: I’m 67 and self-employed. Can I contribute funds to a traditional or SEP IRA in the same year in which I withdraw funds from a Roth? – Stan

A: As a matter of fact, you can.

And depending on your current tax situation, this may not be such a bad idea, says Joe Heider, founder of Cirrus Wealth Management in Cleveland.

Regardless of whether you take the standard deduction or itemize deductions, you can deduct eligible contributions to a traditional IRA or a Simplified Employee Pension Plan, otherwise known as a SEP IRA, commonly used by self-employed individuals or small-business owners.

Because you’re over the age of 50, you also qualify for catch-up provisions, meaning you can contribute up to $6,500 in a traditional IRA. For someone in the 25% tax bracket, that translates to savings of $1,625 in federal taxes.

“You’re essentially using tax-free funds from your Roth to get a current deduction,” says Heider. You will, of course, owe taxes when you withdraw funds from a traditional IRA or SEP down the road. As long as your tax rate doesn’t go up in retirement, which is unlikely, it pencils out.

Since you’re self-employed, you could potentially contribute more pre-tax dollars to a SEP IRA. There is no catch-up provision with a SEP, but the contribution limit is up to 25% of your compensation. (That figure varies slightly depending on whether you work under an unincorporated or incorporated entity.) Keep in mind that the money you withdraw from a Roth doesn’t count as your eligible compensation. Those withdrawals, though, may free up more of your earned income for savings.

Also remember that when you turn 70 ½ you’ll still be subject to required minimum distributions from your traditional IRA, and that means you’ll need to withdraw a small percentage of your savings from your account. At that point, you can continue contributing to a Roth IRA — assuming you still have earned income and you qualify — though not a traditional IRA.