Coronavirus and Your Money: Special Coverage
By Martha C. White
Updated: June 22, 2016 5:13 PM ET
600-03696739 © Ty Milford Model Release: No Property Release: No Sign Pointing towards Campsites on Orcas Island, San Juan Islands, Washington, USA
Ty Milford—Getty Images/Radius Images

Now that school’s out and the kids are home for the summer, if you’re worried that the cost of child care could become prohibitive, the IRS — yes, the IRS — has good news for you.

If you are a working parent with kids 13 years old or younger, or an older child who is disabled, you can get a tax credit for some of the money you have to spend on day care—including sending them to camp. Depending on your income, the child and dependent care credit provides a tax break of up to 35% of $3,000 in expenses (and up to $6,000 for two or more kids).

Ancillary items like uniforms or other supplies aren’t covered, but camps run by some gyms are, according to Liberty Tax Services, as well as camps based on a sport or other activity, according to TurboTax.

Sleepaway camps don’t qualify for the credit, since the point is to help out parents who are working or looking for work and must pay someone to watch their kids during the day.

READ MORE: How Your Kids Can Help Cut Your Tax Bill

Even if your children can’t stand the thought of getting dirt on their shoes, you’re not out of luck: The credit also covers the cost of daycare, a babysitter, or other childcare providers.

You May Like