Experts agree that your mother, as is so often the case, was correct. It really is important to brush your teeth at least twice a day.
Brushing your teeth removes plaque, which prevents tooth decay, cavities, and bad breath. But regular brushing also helps prevent gingivitis, which is the inflammation of the gums, and periodontitis, commonly referred to as gum disease. If either of these diseases are left unchecked they can potentially lead to respiratory diseases, heart diseases and even cancer.
Regularly brushing is the best way to prevent these afflictions. (Though as is often the case when it comes to your health, a balanced diet and avoiding smoking are also key.) While the regular toothbrushes you pick up at CVS or Target work just fine, electric toothbrushes have some advantages. A good electric toothbrush can really get in there to remove plaque and the pesky food particles that get stuck between teeth, which is often a problem for people with braces. Some studies have also found that people concentrate more when using electric toothbrushes.
Electric toothbrushes are especially useful for people with arthritis, carpal tunnel or any other issue that decreases hand strength or agility. Electric toothbrushes offer a great way to improve your smile especially if you don't want to pay the full price of Invisalign. That said, remember not to use too much force when you brush.
"There are obvious benefits to using electric toothbrushes for maintaining good oral health. Overall, electric toothbrushes reduce plaque and gingivitis more than a manual toothbrush, but there are also some things you need to be careful of," says Dr. Brian Harris, a Phoenix, Arizona-based cosmetic dentist. "The most common issue we see is over-aggressive brushing and using manual motion with the electric brush. This can cause both gum recession and sensitivity."
To determine which electric toothbrush is right for you, we asked dentists and oral hygienists which ones do the best job.
The Best Electric Toothbrushes of 2023
1. Best Overall: Philips Sonicare DiamondClean Smart 9700 Electric Toothbrush
List Price: $339.96
Some of us have a delicate touch in life. Others, not so much. If you are a bull in the china shop but the china shop is your mouth, Dr. Lieb thinks the Phillips Sonicare DiamondClean Smart might help you ease up a little.
"This electric toothbrush is especially unique in that it’s equipped with technology that provides personalized feedback and coaching on your brushing. I also love that it comes with three different brush heads that serve different purposes: removing plaque, caring for gums and whitening teeth," she says. "Users can swap out the brush heads depending on their needs. The ultrasonic feature of this toothbrush is gentle, yet very effective in cleaning every surface of the teeth. This is also great to use for patients with sensitive gums."
- Free app provides real-time feedback on brushing
- Three intensities and five modes for versatile use
- Four types of brush heads for customizable cleaning
- Available in two stylish colors
- More costly than other smart toothbrushes
- No warning when the battery is low
2. Editor's Pick: Philips Sonicare ProtectiveClean 4100 Rechargeable Electric Toothbrush
List Price: $49.95
Everything is interactive these days. So why shouldn't your toothbrush get in on the fun? "Most patients are unaware of their improper brushing technique and may potentially be causing themselves long-term harm," Dr. Greg Gelfand, a dentist based in Queens, New York, explains. "Electric toothbrushes with a tactile feedback mechanism are key in ensuring optimal brushing and can help guide a heavy-handed user. For this reason, I often recommend Philips Sonicare, which gently pulses to signal when too much pressure is applied during brushing.
- Reasonable price for good quality
- Brush head replacement reminders
- Tactile feedback for optimal brushing pressure
- Long-lasting 14-day battery life
- Only compatible with one type of brush head
- Bristles may be too rough for some users
3. Best Water Flosser Combo: Waterpik Electric Toothbrush & Water Flosser Combo Sonic Fusion Professional
List Price: $210.00
In addition to brushing, flossing is also important for keeping your mouth clean. If you've ever complained that no one has the time to brush and floss, Dr. Pia Lieb DDS, founder of Cosmetic Dentistry Center NYC, recommends the Sonic-Fusion Professional. "You can brush your teeth, floss and more. You also have the option to add mouthwash," she says.
- Ideal for users who dislike flossing
- Compatible with mouthwash
- Compact flossing brush head for easy maneuverability
- Ten pressure settings for customizable cleaning level
- Bulky water reservoir isn’t travel-friendly
- Only comes with one brush head
4. Best for Smart Features: Oral-B Genius Pro 8000 Electric Toothbrush
List Price: $219.99
Afshan Ahmed, DDS, owns North Spring Dental in Springfield, Ohio, and she likes Oral B Genius electric toothbrushes because they're almost foolproof. "They take the guesswork out of how long, how strong and where one needs to brush. That helps with folks who have dexterity issues like our elderly patients and young children," she says. "Electric toothbrushes give the user a guide to not brush so hard, but still leaves a squeaky clean feel that they are wanting."
- Six cleaning modes for versatile cleaning
- Bluetooth connectivity with real-time brushing feedback
- Smart travel case supports on-the-go charging
- Round brush head for efficient plaque removal
- Somewhat expensive due to smart features
- App may be confusing to use
5. Best for Low Prices: Oral-B Pro 1000 Electric Toothbrush
List Price: $59.99
Looking to get those hard-to-reach places in the back of your mouth? Then Dr. Harris recommends the Oral-B Pro 1000 Power Rechargeable Electric. It features brushes that "rotate, vibrate or oscillate, which gives these brushes a slight edge over others. Because they rotate and oscillate, they are able to reach all sides of the teeth," he says. "Additionally, this model showcases soft bristles, a pressure sensor and a timer to ensure that you’re not brushing too hard."
- Rotating, vibrating and oscillating bristles for deep cleaning
- Pressure sensor and timer for optimal brushing
- Soft bristles for sensitive teeth and gums
- Very affordably priced for great features
- No extra brushing modes or speeds
- Instructions may be confusing
6. Best Interactive Electric Toothbrush: Oral-B iO
List Price: $299.99
There's an app for everything these days. So, why not an app for your teeth? If you want the most interactive cleaning experience possible, Dr. Harris has just the toothbrush for you. Oral-B’s iO was first released in August of 2020 and features "3-D tracking and AI recognition work to guide you to the best clean for your entire mouth," he says. "Guided feedback, such as from an app, is quite helpful in assessing how well you’ve brushed and if you’re covered every surface. Most patients brush regularly. Regular plaque buildup in similar areas can mean that they continue to miss brushing certain areas."
- Interactive color display for real-time feedback
- AI tracking maps tooth surfaces for optimal results
- Seven smart cleaning modes
- Four replacement brush heads included
- Very expensive due to smart features
- Travel case can be awkward to open
Why Trust Us
Our commitment to the consumer begins with product selection and ends with the last word we write in each article. Each electric toothbrush is carefully vetted quantitatively through star ratings and the number of reviews and qualitatively through careful examination of reviews and the features each one has to offer. Leveraging our team of bargain hunters, we’re also always sure to keep your budget in mind while we find the best electric toothbrushes on the market. Our team of experts is dedicated to accurately depicting the pros and cons of each electric toothbrush, translating technical product specifications into information you can understand. Our mission is to help you keep your teeth sparkling clean and healthy with the finest dental care tools available.