Several dog food brands have issued a recall over fears that the product may be contaminated with Salmonella, following reports of pets getting sick and, in some cases, dying.
The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has issued recalls for four different companies — Redbarn Pet Products, Raws For Paws Dog Food, Darwin's Natural Pet Products and ZooLogics Pet Food — after six pets died or became ill, including a kitten, and two children got sick.
The FDA has stressed that humans can become ill if they handle contaminated pet food and accidentally transfer the bacteria to their mouths.
“Even if the dog or cat doesn’t get sick, they can become carriers of Salmonella and transfer the bacteria to their surroundings, and then people can get the disease from contact with the infected environment,” William Burkholder, of FDA’s Division of Animal Feeds, writes on the FDA website.
The current spate of recalls includes 4,000 pounds of Raw For Paws' ground turkey pet food, and Smokehouse Pet Products's dog treats “Beefy Munchies." Both products have the potential to be contaminated with Salmonella, the FDA says.
Symptoms of infected animals, according to the FDA, include vomiting, diarrhea, fever, loss of appetite and decreased activity levels. Most pet insurance companies cover poisoning and other accidental illnesses.
A detailed list of recalled products can be found on the FDA's website.