Allianz Travel Insurance is one of our picks for the best travel insurance, largely due to its plans for business travelers. Although it offers single-trip insurance, its annual plans are a better option for frequent travelers. You can even get coverage for stolen, lost, or damaged business equipment. Weary road warriors will benefit from their concierge service and work-related trip cancellation coverage.
Allianz Travel Insurance Pros and Cons
- 24/7 multilingual hotline assistance
- Offers annual plans for frequent travelers
- Concierge services included in most plans
- Lower-than-average medical expenses coverage limit
- Limited CFAR (cancel for any reason) coverage
24/7 multilingual hotline assistance
One of the best features of Allianz Travel Insurance is access to expert help anywhere in the world and at any time. You can contact the company hotline within the U.S. via a toll-free number and abroad via a collect number.
The hotline is not just for medical emergencies or dire circumstances, it can also address any travel-related issues such as helping you communicate in another language or obtaining services for your pet. You can also access this feature with the help of the company’s TravelSmart app.
Offers annual plans for frequent travelers
Allianz Travel Insurance allows you to get annual plans if you travel often. The coverage, however, depends on your chosen plan. There are four AllTrip options offered:
- AllTrips Basic
- AllTrips Prime Plan
- AllTrips Executive Plan
- AllTrips Premier Plan
These plans offer similar coverage as the single-trip plans, but they cover you for the full year. This allows frequent travelers to plan their trips without having to worry about getting trip protection. Another benefit of this coverage is that all of these plans include rental car protection.
Concierge services are in most plans
Concierge service is available with most of Allianz’s travel plans. This service assists with event and entertainment needs — like ticket or restaurant reservations — and information on local activities and venues such as golf courses or theaters. The concierge may also provide location information, including currency exchange rates and train schedules.
The concierge service can be useful if you need to find alternative accommodations or book additional transportation. Concierge specialists may also help you find specialty shops, get an interpreter and make other specialized requests. Reach the concierge via Allianz’s hotline or the phone number printed on your policy.
Lower-than-average medical expenses coverage limit
One of the significant drawbacks of Allianz Travel Insurance is its low medical coverage. While other providers have limits of $100,000 or more, Allianz Travel’s emergency medical insurance maximum coverage of $75,000 is available only in the One Trip Premier.
For the other plans, the emergency medical insurance maximum is $50,000. If you have an accident or need medical assistance while on your trip and your medical bills exceed the limit, you’ll pay the balance out of pocket.
Limited CFAR (cancel for any reason) coverage
Allianz recently started offering its own version of CFAR coverage called the Cancel Anytime upgrade. While this add on can potentially reimburse you up to 80% of the trip cost, it's only available for Allianz’s two most popular plans: the OneTrip Prime and OneTrip Premier.
Allianz Travel Insurance Plans
Allianz Global Assistance travel insurance plans come in two general categories – single trip and annual or multi-trip. The single trip plan has five options to choose from, while the annual or multi-trip plan has four options. Allianz also offers rental car coverage, either included in the plan or as an add-on.
Before signing up for travel insurance with Allianz, understand what each policy entails to determine which plan is best for you. Here are some details on the different Allianz Global Travel insurance plans:
The single-trip travel insurance plan has five options.
- One Trip Basic – This is an affordable plan for trip cancellation and interruption, medical emergency coverage, damaged or lost baggage and other post-departure benefits.
- One Trip Prime – Allianz touts this as their most popular plan. It offers higher limits than its basic plan, and gives you access to a long list of possible upgrades, such as cancellations due to work.
- One Trip Premier – This option has higher post-departure benefit limits than the Prime option, more cancellation reasons to add and access to optional upgrades.
- One Trip Emergency Medical – The plan designed for travelers on a tight budget who don’t want to travel without medical insurance coverage. This plan covers emergency and medical transportation and a few post-departure benefits like baggage delay and baggage loss or damage.
- One Trip Cancellation Plus – If your main concern is the possible financial loss resulting from an unexpected trip cancellation, this is the plan to get. Note that this doesn’t have any medical or health coverage, unlike the other four options and only covers the cost of trip cancellations, interruptions and delays. You’re covered for multiple reasons, including the death of a family member, if your destination is unlivable, if your traveling companion gets seriously sick, or even if you divorce your traveling companion before the trip.
Allianz multi-trip or annual travel insurance plans come with four options, three of which are similar to the single-trip ones above.
- All Trips Basic – The basic plan has no trip cancellation or interruption benefits but offers emergency medical, baggage loss and delay benefits, travel delay and travel accident coverage. It also has rental car theft and damage coverage. However, as with all of these plans, the rental car coverage is not available for Kansas, New York or Texas residents, and Washington residents must look at their plan details to see if it's included.
- All Trips Prime – This plan does offer cancellation and interruption reimbursements, as well as pre-existing medical condition coverage. It has the same level of coverage as the basic plan regarding emergency medical, post-departure benefits and rental car coverage.
- All Trips Premier – As with the single plans, this version of the Premier offers more in terms of benefits. It’s similar to Prime, with pre-existing medical condition coverage and cancellation options. One thing you’ll notice with this plan's cancellation and interruption benefits is that it comes with varying options, so you can customize your plan to suit your budget and needs.
- All Trips Executive – This is a tailor-made plan for frequent business travelers Aside from the usual cancellation, interruption, emergency medical and baggage benefits, it also has business equipment rental coverage.
Rental Car Coverage
Rental car coverage by Allianz comes with reimbursements for trip interruption and lost or damaged baggage. It also covers any damage to your rental vehicle or if the car is stolen while in your possession.
Allianz Travel Insurance Pricing
The cost of each policy depends on several factors. To get a quote for your chosen single trip plan, you need to provide your age, place of residence, destination, total trip costs and travel dates.
The same factors are used for annual or multi-trip plan pricing but you'll also have to provide a start date of your coverage. These plans cover all trips within 365 days of the start date you provide.
The information needed for a custom quote for the rental car plan includes when you’re traveling, your age and where you live. The usual price for such a plan with Allianz Travel is $11 per day.
Allianz Travel Insurance Financial Stability
Allianz, which is Allianz Travel Insurance's parent company, has been in business for over 100 years and enjoys an A+ rating with both the Better Business Bureau (BBB) and A.M. Best. According to its 2021 annual report, the company has more than $86 billion in equity, $1.24 trillion in total assets and a total market value of $2.83 trillion.
Allianz Travel Insurance Accessibility
You can visit the Allianz Travel Insurance website to get a quote and sign up for a policy. From there, you’ll need to choose which plan you’re interested in and fill in the details that the plan specifies. There are resources, videos, and an email contact form to help you choose a plan and sign up.
Allianz Travel Insurance is available in all 50 states. However, certain plans and upgrades, such as rental car damage and theft coverage, are not offered to residents of Kansas, New York and Texas, and may not be available to Washington residents..
Allianz Travel Insurance is under the umbrella of Allianz Global Assistance, located in Richmond, VA. You can contact the company through the Allianz website or:
Allianz Travel Insurance phone number: 1-866-884-3556
Allianz Travel Insurance mail address: P.O. Box 71533, Richmond, VA 23255-1533
Allianz Travel Insurance Emergency Assistance: In the U.S. 1-800-654-1908; International 1-804-281-5700
Allianz Travel Insurance provides users with an app that helps them track their plans and contact the concierge service. It also gives users access to their coverage benefits as well as a way of getting help when they’re traveling.
The app also lets you file claims and even shows you which providers in your current location are approved by the company.
Allianz Travel Insurance Customer Satisfaction
This provider has a hit-and-miss record when it comes to customer satisfaction. Some online customer reviews have reported that the customer service team needs to be clearer when explaining policies. A few customers have also noted that Allianz Travel Insurance refunds take a long time to be issued, while others have complained about the time it takes for claims decisions.
However, some policyholders give the company positive reviews, despite delays in getting their reimbursements.
Allianz Travel Insurance FAQs
Is Allianz Global Assistance a reliable travel insurance company?
How do I file a travel insurance claim with Allianz?
Go to the Allianz Travel Insurance Claim page on their website and follow the instructions for claim filing.
Call their claim filing number: 1-866-884-3556
File a claim using the TravelSmart app by looking up your policy details using your email or policy number.
Is Allianz Travel Insurance worth it?
How We Evaluated Allianz Travel Insurance
We looked into several critical factors to evaluate Allianz Travel Insurance. These include the following:
- Available plans
- Benefits and coverage
- Diversity of offerings
- Claim filing process
- Customer service
- Customer reviews
- Financial stability
- Third-party ratings
Summary of Money's Allianz Travel Insurance Review
Allianz is considered one of the best travel insurance companies for business because of the adapted annual plans for frequent travelers.
Allianz’s staff is available 24/7 to answer questions and concierge services can help you during the trip. Allianz Travel Insurance is backed by a financially stable parent company and makes its plans available in most states. However, the company's coverage limits for medical expenses are lower than those of its competitors.