The purpose of this disclosure is to explain how we make money without charging you for our content.
Our mission is to help people at any stage of life make smart financial decisions through research, reporting, reviews, recommendations, and tools.
Earning your trust is essential to our success, and we believe transparency is critical to creating that trust. To that end, you should know that many or all of the companies featured here are partners who advertise with us.
Our content is free because our partners pay us a referral fee if you click on links or call any of the phone numbers on our site. If you choose to interact with the content on our site, we will likely receive compensation. If you don't, we will not be compensated. Ultimately the choice is yours.
Opinions are our own and our editors and staff writers are instructed to maintain editorial integrity, but compensation along with in-depth research will determine where, how, and in what order they appear on the page.
To find out more about our editorial process and how we make money, click here.
Money analyzed 87 monthly smartphone plans from 10 providers ranked by J.D. Power in its 2016 U.S. Wireless Customer Care Performance Study.
- All plans evaluated have unlimited calls and texts. Plans include those with and without two-year service contracts, and both prepaid and postpaid options.
- Total two-year cost of each plan includes two years of service, any activation fees, and the price of a 16GB iPhone 6s for each user (or a Samsung Galaxy S7 if the iPhone wasn’t offered), minus any auto pay discounts. Totals do not include taxes, unless otherwise stated. Phone cost assumes device is acquired from the carrier.
- Family plans are for four lines.
- Winners were chosen on the basis of price, data allowances, and plan features, plus ratings for network quality (from RootMetrics), coverage (from OpenSignal), and customer service (from J.D. Power).
- Data was collected in May 2016.
For the full list, read our main story, The 10 Best Cell Phone Plans of 2016 and use our cell phone picker tool to find out which of these plans is best for you.