Bekins is the oldest still-operating moving company in the U.S. In this case, oldest doesn’t mean out of touch. On the contrary, it offers solid service, including an optional priority moving option for those who need to move quickly. The company also performs “professional” everyday moves, according to customer reviews. Bekins is a good choice for most moving scenarios.
- Service Area: 50 states
- Can Pack For You: Yes
- Deposit: None
- Licensing: Carrier (USDOT #2256609)
- Optional white-glove moving service
- Provides a dedicated moving manager
- Ballpark online quotes available for long-distance moves
- Binding virtual or in-home quotes are available
- Maintains a network of 350 agents to increase geographic coverage
- Though it covers 95% of the U.S., service may not be available in your area
- Some customers report damage and a difficult claims process
- Complaints of missed deadlines
What We Think About Bekins Van Lines
Bekins Van Lines has been operating since 1891, making it the longest-operating moving company in the U.S. Is its longevity the result of pure luck, or due to a long-standing commitment to customer service?
Judging by reviews, it has indeed stuck to its core value of “showing customers value and respect” for over 130 years. Google reviews average 4.6 out of 5 stars, with many customers describing staff as “professional,” reporting that their items were handled carefully.
While the company can provide everyday and full-service moves, the standout feature at Bekins is its optional Priority Relocation Service. This is one of the fastest, most comprehensive moving options in the industry. Though prices can be high, it’s a good option for someone with zero tolerance for hassle. What you get with this white-glove service:
- Last-minute requests are okay
- Full packing and unpacking
- Unshared truck space
- Guaranteed on-time delivery ($100-per-day late payment)
- Availability during peak moving season
So whether you’ve procrastinated, need an unexpected move, or just want to leave the details to someone else, this priority service option could be for you.
Bekins is a licensed household goods carrier with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) and works with 350 licensed agents.
Some online reviews complained of damage, though these reports were rare compared to Bekins’ high number of moves completed. We recommend opting for full-value protection just in case.
The company seems to miss pickup and delivery dates on occasion, which is fairly typical for the industry unfortunately. If you need your items delivered on a certain day with no wiggle room, inform your dedicated moving manager, and make sure you keep their contact information handy if something goes wrong.
Bekins Van Lines Pros and Cons
- Available specialty packing
- Full-replacement value protection options
- Priority moving
- Dedicated move manager
- Some complaints about damage
- Online estimates available only for long-distance move
- Not available in all areas
Bekins Van Lines Services
This company can handle just about any moving scenario.
A local move is typically defined as within the same state. These moves can be as complex as a coast-to-coast move. Bekins offers full-service packing and loading as an option with its local moves.
Long Distance Moving
Bekins can move you to any state in the country. If it doesn’t cover a particular area, it taps its network of 350 agents to reach just about every corner of the U.S.
Packing, Loading, and Unloading
Bekins’ experts can professionally pack your items using the right crating supplies. When not packed properly, damage is quite likely. That’s why Bekins uses its deep experience to pack, load, unload, and unpack your items the right way.
- Additional property protection
- Specialty item moves
- Senior moves
- Employee relocation
How Much Does Bekins Van Lines Cost?
According to our research, a 1,500-mile, 3-bedroom move will cost between $8,500 and $10,500, depending on additional services selected like extra protection, packing, and loading.
For a 500-mile move, the cost is more like $6,000-$7,000.
Prices range widely depending on your wants and needs. A one-bedroom or studio move without all the bells and whistles could cost as little as $3,500, while a 5-bedroom, full-service move could cost upwards of $15,000 to go 1,500 miles.
Getting a Quote:
Bekins is one of the few companies that offer ballpark quotes for long-distance moves on its website. This is a handy feature if you just want, well, a ballpark figure. It’s useful for general budgeting. But don’t rely on this number. To get a binding quote, you’ll need an in-home or virtual walk-through, accounting for all items needing to be shipped. Bekins offers binding estimates as an option, which will help you avoid surprises at the end.
Bekins Van Lines Vs Other Moving Companies
|Can Pack For You
|American Van Lines
|Best for Specialty Moves
|Bekins Van Lines
|Best White-Glove Service
|JK Moving Services
|Best Full-Service Packing
|Two Men and a Truck
|Best Local Branches
|Varies by location
|Best DIY Mover
|Most Flexible Container Mover
|1-month storage fee
|International Van Lines
|Most Flexible Full-Service Mover
|North American Van Lines
|Most Predictable Pricing
|Up To 50%
|United Van Lines
|Best Full-Value Protection
|Most Transparent Broker
|Required, amount varies
|IInterstate Moving & Relocation Group
|Most Experienced Moving Broker
Bekins Van Lines FAQ
Is Bekins Van Lines a reputable company?
Bekins Van Lines is a legitimate moving company with a vast reach in the U.S. It is the longest-operating moving company in the U.S.
Is Bekins Van Lines licensed?
Bekins is an FMCSA-licensed household goods carrier under US DOT #2256609.
Where is Bekins located?
Bekins’ headquarters are in Indianapolis, Indiana, and partners with over 350 agents nationwide to expand its coverage to 95% of the U.S.
Should You Use Bekins Van Lines For Your Move?
Bekins can handle just about any moving situation. They are a reputable, licensed company with solid online reviews from customers as well as respected publications. You can feel good about your choice if you select this company for your upcoming move.
Research Other Moving Companies
- International Van Lines
- North American Van Lines Moving Company Review
- JK Moving Services Company Review
- American Van Lines Moving Company Review
- Moving APT Review
- U-Pack Moving Company Review
- United Van Lines Moving Company Review
At Money.com, we prioritize providing our readers with thorough, trustworthy reviews.
In order to give you the best recommendations for moving companies, we’ve reviewed more than a dozen companies using these metrics:
- Services: We analyze each moving company based on the types of services and features they offer, comparing them to other providers in the industry.
- Availability: We also factor in each company’s state availability, highlighting the areas in which they’re licensed to serve.
- Pricing: In our analysis, we also zero in on pricing and compare quotes across multiple moving companies. That includes evaluating how transparent a company is about its cost structure, additional fees, and cancellation policy.
- Reputation: We pay close attention to each moving company’s brand reputation by reading third-party reviews and checking for proper licensing and accreditation through the DOT’s Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration database.
Customer experience: We reviewed dozens of negative reviews from real customers for each moving company. We incorporated comments into our ratings and addressed common themes in each review.